- Why is this medication prescribed?
- How should this medicine be used?
- Side effects of Neomycin Polymyxin and Hydrocortisone otic
- What special precautions could I take?
- Neomycin, Polymyxin, and Hydrocortisone otic solution interactions with other drugs
- What can I do if I forget a dose?
- What can I know about the storage and disposal of this medication?
- What other information should I know?
Why is this medication prescribed?
Neomycin, Polymyxin, and Hydrocortisone otic solution is an ear drop solution, it is used to treat the outer ear infections caused by bacteria or also known as swimmer’s ear. This solution contains neomycin and polymyxin, which are known as antibiotics, that help to stop the growth of bacteria. This medication is also used in the treatment of outer ear infections that can occur after certain types of ear surgery.
Neomycin, Polymyxin, and Hydrocortisone otic solution contain hydrocortisone, which is known as anti-inflammatory corticosteroids that work by activating natural substances in the ear to reduce swelling, redness, unusual tiredness or weakness, trouble breathing, and itching. This medicine is only used in the treatment of bacterial ear infections. It doesn’t work on any other type of ear infection. If you are using it unnecessarily or overuse of any antibiotic can lead to its decreased effectiveness.
This medication sold under the brand names Cortisporin Otic Solution (as a combination product containing Neomycin, Polymyxin, and Hydrocortisone) and Casporyn HC Otic Suspension (as a combination product containing Neomycin, Polymyxin, and Hydrocortisone).
How should this medicine be used?
The combination of Neomycin, polymyxin, and hydrocortisone otic medication available in the form of a liquid solution and a liquid suspension with undissolved particles to instill in the ear. As directed by your doctor or pharmacists, this medication is usually used 3 or 4 times a day for up to ten days. Ensure that before using this medication your ear canal should be clean and dry.
It would be great if you hold this solution container in your hand for a few minutes to warm it. It will help you to minimize dizziness and if possible take the help of another person to insert the drops for maintaining accuracy and avoid contamination.
To avoid contamination, wash your hands first to apply the ear drops. And before using this solution, shake the container well, don’t try to touch the dropper tip or let it touch your ear or any other surface.
Always remember that the combination of the Neomycin, polymyxin, and hydrocortisone otic solution should be used at around the same times every day, and ask your doctor or pharmacists to explain any part you do not understand or follow the directions on your prescription label carefully.
Don’t try to use this combination of Neomycin, polymyxin, and hydrocortisone otic solution more or less than prescribed by your doctor or pharmacists. It would be harmful to you, the overuse of this medication can damage your ear.
Don’t use Neomycin, polymyxin, and hydrocortisone otic solution in your eyes because this solution makes for use in the ears. And when you are using Neomycin, polymyxin, and hydrocortisone otic solution the symptoms should begin to improve during the first few days. But in case, if your symptoms should begin to improve after a week or start getting worse then you should have talked to your doctor or pharmacists.
Follow these steps to use the eardrops:
- Warm the solution by holding the bottle in your hand for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Shake the bottle well, if you are using suspension.
- With the help of a sterile cotton applicator, clean the dry the affected ear canal.
- Lie down and make sure the affected ear is upward.
- As directed by your doctor’s prescribed number, put the drops into your ear.
- Don’t try to touch the dropper tip of the solution or your ear or any other surface.
- Remain lying down for 5 minutes with the affected ear upward.
- If you feel necessary for the opposite ear then repeat steps 1-6. You can also place a cotton wick into the ear canal and the wick should be replaced every 24 hours.
What are other uses of neomycin polymyxin and hydrocortisone otic solution?
Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information about the prescribed for other diseases of the neomycin, polymyxin, and hydrocortisone otic solution.
Side effects of Neomycin Polymyxin and Hydrocortisone otic
Don’t use it for a longer time period than prescribed, but in case, If you’re using this medication for prolonged or repeated long periods then it may result in some serious side effects. If you notice or feel any of the new or worsening symptoms then tell your healthcare professionals.
People that are using Neomycin Polymyxin and Hydrocortisone otic medication have some serious side effects because this medication only uses serious side effects. Don’t use this medication without your doctor’s prescription and if you have any irritation, trouble breathing then firstly stop using it and talk to your doctor.
Some common side effects of Neomycin Polymyxin and Hydrocortisone otic solution:
- You’ll feel burning or stinging of your ear after instilling the medication.
- You’ll feel skin thinning.
- You’ll feel small white or red bumps on the skin.
- You’ll feel acne.
- You’ll feel unwanted hair growth.
- You’ll feel skin color changes.
Some serious side effects of Neomycin Polymyxin and Hydrocortisone otic solution:
In case, If you have seen any of these serious effects that we mentioned below then seek immediate medical attention.
- You’ll feel skin redness, swelling, or itching (especially on the face/tongue/throat).
- You’ll feel dryness or scaling on your skin.
- You’ll feel decreased urination.
- You’ll feel hearing loss, which may be permanent.
- You’ll feel swelling of the legs, ankles, or feet.
- You’ll feel unusual tiredness or weakness
- You’ll feel trouble breathing.
What special precautions could I take?
Some special precaution of Neomycin Polymyxin and Hydrocortisone otic medicine you should have followed before using this medication:
- If you have or have ever had any medical condition history then tell your doctor and pharmacist.
- If you are allergic to neomycin, polymyxin, or hydrocortisone or to aminoglycoside antibiotics then tell your doctor and pharmacist.
- If you are taking some prescription and nonprescription medications, nutritional supplements, herbal products, other vitamins, or planning to take them then tell your doctor and pharmacist.
- If you are breastfeeding, pregnant, or planning to become pregnant and using the Neomycin, Polymyxin, and Hydrocortisone otic solution. if you become pregnant while taking Neomycin, Polymyxin, and Hydrocortisone otic solutions then tell your doctor and pharmacist.
- If you have a hole or tear in your eardrum or an ear infection (chickenpox or herpes) then tell your doctor and pharmacist. Your doctor and pharmacist will probably tell you not to use neomycin, polymyxin, and hydrocortisone otic solution.
And don’t use neomycin, polymyxin, and hydrocortisone otic solution for later for another infection unless your doctor or pharmacist tells you to take this medication.
Neomycin, Polymyxin, and Hydrocortisone otic solution interactions with other drugs
Your doctor or pharmacist can already be aware of any drug interactions. Don’t try to change, stop, or start the dosage of any medicine before checking or before talking to your doctor or pharmacist.
If you are taking some prescription and nonprescription medications, other vitamins, nutritional supplements, herbal products, including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, or planning to take them, then tell your doctor and pharmacist before starting the treatment with this product.
And the most important thing when you are taking these products doesn’t start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicines you are using without your doctor’s approval.
What can I do if I forget a dose?
When you start to take neomycin, polymyxin, and hydrocortisone otic solution, always remember to write down all of the instructions that your doctor or pharmacist tells you when you ask a question: what should I do if I forget a dose?
The answer is if you forgot to take neomycin, polymyxin, and hydrocortisone otic solution and if it is near the time of your next dose then we suggest you please skip that dose and take it at the next dose at the regular time. Don’t take the dose at irregular times. It makes your dose double and it would be harmful to you.
What can I know about the storage and disposal of this medication?
Store this medication at room temperature and keep them away from the light or excessive heat and moisture. And put them away from the reach of the pets and children, we suggest you put that medicine in a tightly closed container in which they came. Ensure that the liquid form of this product doesn’t freeze and try to protect it from the light also.
You should have disposed of all the medication that is unneeded in a special way to ensure that children, pets, and other people can’t consume them. You can not flush them or pour them into the drain. You can return them to the pharmacist or the best way is that you can take back the program for returning your medicines.
What other information should I know?
Don’t miss any of your doctor and laboratory appointments because your doctor will check the response of this medicine then he/she will tell you the update or other pieces of information. So, Keep all your appointments with your doctor, pharmacist, and the laboratory.
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you feel your health condition is getting worse or your dose may need to be adjusted.
It is very important to tell your pharmacist about all your prescriptions and nonprescription you were taking and make a list of them and carry the list all time it would help you in case of emergencies. When you meet or visit your doctor you should bring the list its important to it you doctor.
And ensure that no one is taking your medicine or no one has them. And every time when you meet your pharmacist or doctor asks them any of the questions you have about refilling your prescription.
Hope you find this blog useful. Please tell us your experience with this blog in the comment section and keep visiting for further pieces of information.