- Why is this medication prescribed?
- How to use fluocinonide topical solution?
- Other uses for this medicine
- Side effects of fluocinonide cream
- What are the precautions of fluocinonide topical solution?
- What can I do after I forget a dose?
- What about the storage and disposal of this medication?
- What other information should I know?
Why is this medication prescribed?
Fluocinonide is used to treat skin problems, it is a topical steroid that is prescribed for inflammatory skin disorders and their symptoms by doctors or pharmacists. Fluocinonide is available in many forms like cream, gel, ointment, and liquid solutions. Fluocinonide cream helps to treat the itching, redness, and inflammation (swelling and irritation) problems on the skin.
There are some conditions in which this medication is used to treat allergies, psoriasis, and atopic dermatitis. Fluocinonide is available as a brand-name Dermacin, Licon, Fluex, Lidex, Fluonex, and Lidex-E drug and a generic drug Vanos. The generic drug has less cost than the brand-name version. And it is also used in combination therapy which means you can use it in other medicines.
How to use fluocinonide topical solution?
Fluocinonide is available in many forms like cream, gel, ointment, and liquid solutions in various strengths for use on the skin. Before using it follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and if you don’t understand any of the parts then ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain. Use it exactly as directed by the doctor or pharmacist.
Fluocinonide is used only for the skin. You can’t use it on the face, groin, or underarms. Before using this medication make sure that you wash and dry your hand and also clean and dry the affected area. Usually, the doctor or pharmacist told me to use it one to four times a day. Don’t try to cover the affected area after applying this medication by a bandage or wrap the area unless directed to do so by your doctor. If you want to use it on the infant in the diaper area then after applying this medication don’t use tight-fitting diapers or plastic pants.
Don’t forget to wash your hands after using this medication. And if you are using this medication for the area near your eye then try to avoid getting it in the eyes as this may worsen or cause glaucoma. While using this medication try to avoid getting in the nose, or mouth. If you get the medication in these areas, then use plenty of water to remove it from your nose, mouth, and eyes.
Without consulting with your healthcare professionals, don’t use any other skin preparations or products on the affected area that would be harmful like Triamcinolone Topical. When you use this medication within two weeks it shows improvement in the affected area but if this medication doesn’t show any improvement and the treated area gets worse or if burning, swelling, or oozing of pus develops then talk to your doctor or pharmacist right away.
And the most important thing is don’t stop using it without consulting your doctor or pharmacist.
Other uses for this medicine
Ask your doctor and pharmacist for more information about the other uses of fluocinonide topical medication.
Side effects of fluocinonide cream
When you apply this medication to your skin you may feel burning, itching, irritation, or dryness on the skin. But after few days your body adjusts to the medication and these side effects will disappear. In case any of the side effects will not disappear and get worse then talk to your doctor or pharmacist right away.
People that are using this medication have some serious side effects because this medication is only used in serious side effects. Don’t use this medication without your doctor’s prescription, Doctors will suggest you this medication by judging the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. If you have any irritation, burning, or stinging, then firstly stop using it and talk to your doctor.
If you feel that some serious side effects are occurring on your body like stretch marks, skin thinning/discoloration, acne, extreme/unwanted hair growth, “hair bumps” (folliculitis) then talk to your doctor or pharmacist right away. When you are using this medication Skin infections can become worse. So, if you feel redness, swelling, or irritation does not improve then notify your doctor.
If you are using this medication for a long time then thirty may be some side effects like unusual/extreme tiredness, weight loss, headache, swelling ankles/feet, increased thirst/urination, vision problems. These side effects are more likely found in the children and the peoples who are using this for a long time. This medication is absorbed from the skin into the bloodstream and this is the side effects of too much corticosteroid.
Some Side Effects of fluocinonide cream:
- You’ll feel burning, itching, irritation, redness, or drying, or cracking on the skin.
- You’ll feel your hair follicles become plugged.
- Your skin color will change.
- Bruising or Shiny skin
- You’ll feel tiny red bumps or rash around the mouth
- You’ll feel small white or red bumps on the skin
Some Serious Side Effects of fluocinonide cream:
- At the place where you applied fluocinonide, you’ll feel redness, swelling, oozing pus, or other signs of skin infection.
- Sudden weight gain
- Unusual tiredness
- Depression and irritability
- Severe skin rash
- Changes in the way fat are spread around the body
- Muscle weakness
This is not the complete list of the side effects. There are some unusual side effects also if you see them then talk to your doctor or pharmacist right away.
What are the precautions of fluocinonide topical solution?
Some special precaution of fluocinonide topical solution you should have followed before using this medication:
- If you have a medical history especially of poor blood circulation, immune system problems then tell your doctor and pharmacist.
- If in the affected area infection or sore present then don’t use it and tell your doctor and pharmacist about it.
- If you are taking some prescription and nonprescription medications including vitamins then tell your doctor and pharmacist.
- If you have any allergy reactions, corticosteroids (e.g., hydrocortisone, prednisone), and other problems then tell your doctor and pharmacist.
- If you have ever had diabetes, liver disease, Cushing’s syndrome, or any other skin problems then tell your doctor and pharmacist.
- If you are planning for surgery or dental surgery and using the fluocinonide topical then tell your doctor and dentist.
- If you are breastfeeding, pregnant, or planning to become pregnant and using the fluocinonide topical then tell your doctor and pharmacist because this medication is only using when needed and especially when your pregnancy delivery date is near you can not use this medication because it would be very harmful to your new unborn baby.
What can I do after I forget a dose?
In case you forgot to take the medicine and if it is near the time of your next dose then we suggest you please skip that dose and take it at the next dose at the regular time. Don’t take the dose at irregular times. It makes your dose double and it would be harmful to you.
What about the storage and disposal of this medication?
You should have disposed of all the medications that are unneeded in a special way to ensure that children, pets, and other people can’t consume them. You can not flush them or pour them into the drain. You can return them to the pharmacist or the best way is that you can take back the program for returning your medicines.
Store this medication at room temperature and keep it away from the light or excessive heat and moisture. And put them away from the reach of the pets and children, we suggest you put them in a tightly closed container in which they came.
What other information should I know?
Fluocinonide topical solution is created only for external uses only, don’t apply fluocinonide topical solution to your eyes, nose, or mouth it could be harmful to these parts of the body. Ensure that you don’t apply dressings, bandages, cosmetics, lotions, or other skin medications to the affected area until your doctor will suggest.
It is very important to tell your pharmacist about all your prescriptions and non-preference you were talking about and make a list of them and carry the list all the time. It would help you in case of emergencies. When you meet or visit your doctor you should bring the list it’s important to you doctor.
And ensure that no one is taking your medicine or no one has them. And every time when you meet too your pharmacist or doctor ask them any of the questions you have about refilling your prescription.
Hope you find this article useful. Keep visiting.