- Why did doctors prescribe silodosin?
- How should silodosin be used?
- What are the side effects of silodosin?
- What are other uses of silodosin?
- What special dietary plans should I follow?
- What happens if I overdose?
- What special precautions could I take?
- What can I know about the storage and disposal of this medication?
- What do I do if I forget a dose?
- What other information should I know?
Why did doctors prescribe silodosin?
Silodosin medication is used in the treatment of the symptoms of an enlarged prostate such as Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), which makes the difficult in urinating such as weak stream, hesitation, dribbling, and incomplete bladder emptying (including during the middle of the night), urinary frequency and urgency, and painful urination. Silodosin comes under the class of medications known as alpha-blockers. By giving relaxation to the muscles of the prostate and bladder, silodosin medication works or helps in relieves the symptoms of BPH. it sold under the brand name of Rapaflo.
How should silodosin be used?
Silodosin medicine is available in the form of a capsule to take by mouth. Usually, your healthcare professionals will prescribe you this medication to take once a day. Never take this medication without the food or on an empty stomach. Ensure to follow the directions exactly on your prescription label carefully. Don’t ever try to take less or more of this medication than prescribed by your doctor or pharmacists. Always take this medication at around the same time each and every day. And never use this medicine for the treatment of high blood pressure.
The length and dosage of treatment depend on your medical condition and response to treatment. If you don’t understand any of the parts then ask your health care provider to explain all the things again. When you took this medicine suddenly your blood pressure drops, which can cause dizziness or fainting. If you feel that contact your doctor right away.
Before taking this medication, you can sprinkle the internal materials of the capsule on a tablespoon of cool soft applesauce, if you may have difficulty swallowing this medication. After that, you can mix that product in the water and swallow that mixture within 5 minutes. And try to chew the mixture and don’t store that mixture for future use. After taking, the medication or each dose, drink a glass of cool water.
To see the most benefit of this medication use it regularly. And after that, if you feel your condition doesn’t improve then you may contact your doctor.
Avoid situations where you may be injured because the silodosin makes you feel dizzy or fainting and drop in your blood pressure suddenly. If you have stopped taking this medication, restart your treatment with this medication, or your dose has increased by your doctor in these cases the risk is higher when you took medication.
What are the side effects of silodosin?
Silodosin is a medication that can be used only for serious side effects. That’s why this medication can only be used by people who have some serious side effects. Without your healthcare professionals don’t try to use this medication and they will suggest this medication by judging the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Don’t try to use it for a longer time period than prescribed.
Contact your healthcare professionals immediately, if you are having any of these side effects or symptoms mentioned below while you are using the silodosin medication.
Some serious side effects of silodosin medicine:
- You’ll feel trouble breathing.
- You’ll feel diarrhea.
- You’ll feel dizziness.
- You’ll feel low blood pressure.
- You’ll feel orgasm with little or no semen.
- You’ll feel ejaculation problems may occurring.
- You’ll feel stuffy or runny nose.
- You’ll feel fainting.
- You’ll feel lightheadedness,
- You’ll feel a painful erection of the penis that lasts for several hours.
- You’ll feel rash, itching, or swelling.
This is not the complete list of all symptoms and side effects of this medication. In case, if you are facing any unusual problems and do not go away or are getting worse then immediately contact your health care professionals. This medication may also cause some other side effects also.
If you are in the United States and you are facing these serious side effects or someone near you then you can contact the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or call at 1-888-463-6332 or at www.fda.gov/medwatch.
What are other uses of silodosin?
Your health care professional can also prescribe this medication for other uses and you can ask them for more information or other uses of silodosin.
What special dietary plans should I follow?
When you are taking this medicine and eating grapefruit and drinking grapefruit juice then talk about the safe use to your healthcare professional. Always follow your dietary recommendations and exercise plan made by your healthcare professional. If your doctor didn’t give you any instructions, you can continue your normal diet by just avoiding fast food.
What happens if I overdose?
Due to the overdose of the silodosin medicine, some of the symptoms or side effects can occur. So, if you have experienced any of the following side effects mentioned below in the list then contact your healthcare professionals immediately.
Some symptoms of overdose of silodosin medicine:
- You’ll feel dizziness.
- You’ll feel fainting.
- You’ll feel lightheadedness.
- You’ll feel blurred vision.
What special precautions could I take?
If you have experienced or faced any of the problems mentioned above then contact your health care professionals immediately. Follow all the mentioned precautions carefully, these are all precautions that you can take while using this product.
You should have followed this special precaution before using silodosin:
- If you are allergic to silodosin or any other medications and other drugs, or any of the ingredients in this medication then tell your doctor and pharmacist and ask them for all ingredients of silodosin by which you are allergic.
- If you have or have ever had low blood pressure then tell your doctor and pharmacist.
- Your healthcare professionals will not prescribe you this medicine, if you have kidney or liver disease then tell your doctor and pharmacist.
- if you are having surgery, including dental surgery, while having the silodosin medicine then tell the doctor or dentist.
- During or after your treatment with this medication, if you need to have eye surgery then tell your doctor and pharmacist.
- Until you know how silodosin medication can affect you, Don’t ever try to drive a car because this drug may make you dizzy or not operate any machinery until you see clearly.
- If you start taking the treatment with this medication you should know about the common problem you’ll face that when you try to get up too quickly from a lying position you’ll feel dizziness, lightheadedness, and fainting. So, if you want to avoid this problem then stand up from bed slowly, and for a few minutes, before standing up, rest your feet on the floor. You can contact your healthcare professionals if your condition doesn’t improve, or you can sit or lie down if you experience these symptoms.
- If you are breastfeeding, pregnant, or plan to become pregnant. If you become pregnant and you want to take this drug then tell your doctor and pharmacist immediately. Because women can not take this medication, it is only made for men’s use.
- You couldn’t take this medication you are using any of these mentioned medication: nelfinavir such as Viracept, ritonavir such as Norvir, in Kaletra, and saquinavir, nefazodone, telithromycin, antifungals such as ketoconazole and itraconazole such as Sporanox, clarithromycin, HIV protease inhibitors such as indinavir.
- If you are taking some vitamins, nutritional supplements, prescription, and non-prescription medication or drugs and any other drug or medicine, and herbal products, or planning to take them while using this medication then tell your doctor and pharmacist.
What can I know about the storage and disposal of this medication?
Store this medication at room temperature and keep them away from light or excessive heat and moisture. And put them away from the reach of the pets and children, we suggest you put that medicine in a tightly closed container in which they came.
You should have disposed of all the medication that is unneeded in a special way to ensure that children, pets, and other people can’t consume them. You can not flush them or pour them into the drain. You can return them to the pharmacist or the best way is that you can take back the program for returning your medicines.
What do I do if I forget a dose?
If you forgot to take this medication and if it is near the time of your next dose then we suggest you please skip that dose and take it at the next dose at the regular time. Don’t take the dose at irregular times. It makes your dose double.
What other information should I know?
If you are taking any prescription and non-prescription medication or drugs, while you are using this medication, it is very important to tell your healthcare professionals about this. To make it easy and unforgettable, you can create a list of all prescription and non-prescription medications or drugs and any other drug or medicine you are taking. You can show that list to your healthcare professionals or pharmacists at the time of visit or meeting them. It would help you in case of emergencies. It would help you in case of emergencies.
At the time of meeting your healthcare professionals, don’t forget to carry the laboratory report. And the most important thing is to never miss your doctor and laboratory appointments because your healthcare professionals will check the response of this medicine then he/she will tell you the update or other pieces of information. So, keep all your appointments with your doctor, pharmacist, and the laboratory. And before having any laboratory test, if you are already taking this product then tell your doctor and the laboratory personnel. Talk to your healthcare professionals if you feel your health condition is getting worse or your dose may need to be adjusted.
Hope you find this article very useful. Please tell us your experience with this article in the comment section and keep visiting for further pieces of information.