Oxycodone is a safe opioid drug for pain control that is used to prevent moderate or severe pain, post-operative pain. It belongs to the group of medicine called narcotics analgesics. The immediate-release drug for acute pain. Derived from Germany and has been in clinical use since 1917. Sold with different brand names in the market like Roxycodone and Oxycontin. It is highly addictive or habit-forming. It is an oral medication.
It is a common drug of abuse. It works by stopping pain signals to the brain.
Constipation and feeling sick is the most common side effect of it. It is not suitable for some patients to consult with doctors before starting.
Usage of Oxycodone
It is used to prevent acute pain when other treatments are not sufficient. It is available as release controlled tablet expected to take in every 12 hours. It is approved for those children whose more than 11 years old. Use for relieving pain in cancer, pain due to operation/surgery, etc.
Take exactly as prescribed by health professionals. Never consume a large amount or for a long time. Contact your doctor if feel any discomfort.
- Don’t break, crush or dissolve it swallow it whole.
- If you feel any trouble swallowing the whole capsule. Open it and sprinkle the mixture into a spoon or on other things and swallow it whole right away.
- Measure liquid drug carefully, try to use a medicine measuring device.
- Should not start or stop suddenly, following the doctor’s prescription.
Complications of Oxycodone
Some side effects are serious or normal. Don’t ignore you feel any of these symptoms. And consult with health professionals as soon as you can.
- Irregular heartbeat
- Dry mouth
- Chest pain
- nausea, vomiting
- Difficulties in breathing stop during sleep
- Mood change
- Stomach pain
It may cause some other side effects too. Consult with your doctor if feel any discomfort while taking it.
Discuss before using Oxycodone
Be sure to consult your doctor about what remedy you had in past or what medicine you take for this.
- If you take any sleeping pills
- If you take any medicine for mental illness
- If you take any medicine for depression
- If you had any migraine treatment
- Motion sickness, overactive bladder
- Cough medicine
- Liver illness
- Kidney failure
- If you had any operation or surgery in past
- If you are pregnant
- If you are a breastfeeding
- If you have irregular pressure of blood (low or high)
- What kind of herbal products do you use
- Allergy medicine
- Have an addiction to alcohol
- Breathing problem or asthma
Risk while taking Oxycodone
- It may cause an imbalance in heartbeat, especially in ill patients or elder people.
- Taking it during pregnancy may cause life-threatening symptoms and the newborn baby will be drug-addicted.
- Risk of excess respiratory depression
- Caregiver to be aware patient should follow all the signs & symptoms. Consult with the doctor on that symptoms.
- Misuse of it can cause addiction
- Don’t share with others. Each pill can cause death if someone takes it accidentally.
- Never try to break or crush the pill or mix the powder in any liquid to inject it. It may cause some serious results aspect death.
For more details – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxycodone#Dependence_and_withdrawal
12-hour intervals are a must between two doses, it also dependent on the pain and patient’s history. Usually, patients who have severe pain or uncontrolled pain take a 40+mg dose in 12 hours. No more 80 mg in a day are only for that patient who tolerates an opioid. Some patients should get better results from starting dose of 5 mg. Follow the prescription that is given by health professionals. They prescribed after understanding the history & current condition of the patient.
Every single overdose can be incurable especially for a child or someone who takes it with a prescription. When you take any medicine more than the level or recommended amount. May get harmful results. It may be mild or moderate. But recovery depends on the specific drug.
You may experience these symptoms :
- Cold, clammy skin
- Slow or stopped breathing
- Weak muscles
- Excessive sleepiness unable to wakeup
- Loss of consciousness
It is used for pain. Normally you don’t miss the dose. If you missed each dose. Take that particular dose as soon as you can. Don’t take a double dose or extra dose at the same time.
Skip while taking Oxycodone
- Do not Drink alcohol serious side effects occurs.
- Do not Drive till feel dizzy it can cause an accident.
How to Store it
- Keep away from the direct sunlight
- Keep away from the children. It can cause severe difficulty even death
- Store this drug at room temperature
- Keep it in an airtight container
- Don’t keep the outdated medicines, immediately dispose of them.
Oxycodone is safe in pain control if the patient has a prescription. This is not a refillable drug. You have to contact your health professionals for a new prescription if you need it. It is scheduled2 for controlled substances. The principal action of it is analgesic. It is pregnancy category B according to FDI. It is passed in breast milk so patients should not breastfeed while taking this medicine. According to some studies, it does not affect fertility and reproduction. It was not found genotoxic in tests. It is not right to say that it is safe with other herbal products & other medicines that why follow the prescription otherwise consult with health professionals.
For more details- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxycodone