- Why is Ketorolac medication prescribed?
- How to use Ketorolac eye drops?
- What are other uses of ketorolac eye drops?
- What special dietary plans should I follow?
- Ophthalmic Ketorolac eye drops side effects
- What special precautions could I take?
- What can I do after I forget a dose?
- What happens if I overdose?
- What can I know about the storage and disposal of this medication?
- What other information should I know?
- Ophthalmic Ketorolac eye drops brand names
Why is Ketorolac medication prescribed?
Ketorolac is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) or a class of (NSAID) that is used for treating pain. It is recommended only for less than six days. This medication is available for the mouth, nose, injection into a vein or muscle, and as eye drops. It starts working within an hour and lasts for up to eight hours.
ketorolac eye drops are used to treat itchy eyes. When you’ll start feeling swelling and redness
Then you can take this medication. It works by stopping certain natural substances like allergy symptoms and inflammation within your body to reduce pain and swelling.
Ketorolac was patented in 1976 and in 1989, it came into medical use. The World Health Organization (WHO) created an Essential Medicines List, ketorolac is one of them available in the list.
How to use Ketorolac eye drops?
Ketorolac eye drop is available in solution (liquid) form to instill in the eyes. If you are using this medication for allergy symptoms, this medication is usually used four times a day. If you are using this medication for inflammation after cataract surgery, this medication is usually used four times a day for 2 weeks beginning 24 hours after surgery. Always remember that you have to follow all the directions on your prescription label carefully, and use this medication exactly as directed by your health care professionals.
If anything that you don’t understand, ask your health care professionals to explain. Don’t try to use this medication more or less often than prescribed by your health care professionals.
How to apply ketorolac eye drops or gel-forming solution?
- Before using ketorolac eye drop, wash your hand thoroughly with soap and water very gently.
- Ensure that the end of the dropper container is not chipped or cracked.
- Against your eye, try to avoid touching the dropper tip or anything else. Always remember that eye drops and droppers must be clean.
- To form a pocket with your index finger pull down the lower lid of your eye, while tilting your head back.
- With the help of the other hand hold the dropper, as close to the eye as possible without touching it.
- The next step is to brace the remaining fingers against your face.
- Squeeze the dropper, when you’re looking up so that a single drop falls into the pocket made by the lower eyelid.
- And then from the lower eyelid remove your index finger.
- After that, as you look at the floor, close your eyes for 2 to 3 minutes. And try to not squeeze or blink your eyelids.
- Apply gentle pressure by placing a finger on the tear duct.
- With a tissue, from your face, wipe any excess liquid.
- Wait at least 5 minutes if you want to use more than one drop in the same eye before instilling the next drop.
- Without wiping or rinsing the dropper tip, replace and tighten the cap on the dropper bottle.
- In the end, wash your hands again to remove the medication.
If you want to get the most benefits from the ketorolac eye drops then use this medication regularly in order. And always use it at the same time each day. Until consulting your health care professional won’t try to stop using this medication.
If you are using this medication and you are feeling well then continue to use ketorolac eye drops don’t try to stop using it without consulting your health care professional. And there are some other eye drops also available like Ofloxacin Eye Drops that you can use in your eyes for other diseases.
What are other uses of ketorolac eye drops?
There are some other uses of this medicine that it’s prescribed by your health care professional. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information about the prescribed treatments for other diseases of ketorolac eye drops.
What special dietary plans should I follow?
Ask your doctor or health care professional for instructions about any restrictions on food, beverages, or activity. Or you can continue your normal diet if your doctor or health care professional didn’t give you any instructions.
Ophthalmic Ketorolac eye drops side effects
Don’t use ketorolac eye drops for a longer time period than prescribed, but in case, If you’re using ketorolac eye drops for prolonged or repeated long periods then it may result in some serious side effects. If you notice or feel any of the new or worsening symptoms or side effects then tell your health care professionals.
This medication only uses serious side effects because people that are using ketorolac eye drops have some serious side effects. Don’t use this medication without your doctor’s prescription, Doctors will suggest ketorolac eye drops medication by judging the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects.
Some common side effects of Ketorolac eye drops:
Stop taking or using ketorolac eye drops if you experience any of these common side effects or symptoms and do not go away, then call your doctor immediately:
- You’ll feel a rash, itching, and swelling around your face, tongue, and throat.
- You’ll feel stinging and burning eyes.
- You’ll start feeling dizziness.
- You’ll feel blurry vision, vision changes, or increased sensitivity to light
- You’ll feel white patches on your eyes.
- You’ll feel watery eyes.
- You’ll feel swollen or puffy eyelids.
- You’ll feel a headache.
Some serious side effects of Ketorolac eye drops:
Stop taking or using ketorolac eye drops if you experience any of these serious side effects or symptoms and do not go away, then call your doctor immediately:
- You’ll feel redness or swelling of eyes, lips, tongue, or skin.
- You’ll feel an allergic reaction, infection in or around the eye.
- You’ll feel rash, hives, or changes on your skin.
- You’ll feel a wound that will not heal.
- You’ll feel difficulty breathing.
It can also cause other side effects and if you have any unusual problems apart from these while using ketorolac eye drops then immediately contact your health care professionals because this is not the complete list of the all symptoms and side effects of ketorolac eye drops.
What special precautions could I take?
You should have follow these special precaution before using of ketorolac eye drops:
- Before installing ketorolac eye drops remove your contact lenses, because this solution can be absorbed by soft contact lenses and it would be harmful to you. After instilling ketorolac eye drops, wait for 10 to 15 minutes and then you can put your contact lenses in your eyes.
- If you have or have ever had heart, kidney, or liver disease or bleeding problems then tell your doctor and pharmacist.
- Don’t ever try to drive a car because this drug may make your vision blurred or not operate any machinery until you see clearly.
- If you are taking some prescription and nonprescription medications especially anticoagulants, warfarin, diclofenac, naproxen, nabumetone, ibuprofen and vitamins, nutritional supplements, and herbal products, or planning to take then tell your doctor and pharmacist.
- If you have any medical history or are allergic to ketorolac eye drops or any other medications then tell your doctor and pharmacist.
- If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breastfeeding while using the ketorolac eye drops. If you become pregnant while taking ketorolac eye drops then tell your doctor and pharmacist.
- If you are allergic to ketorolac, aspirin, or any other medications then tell your doctor and pharmacist.
Follow all the mentioned precautions carefully, these are all precautions that you can take while using the ketorolac eye drops. If you have experienced or faced any of the problems mentioned above then contact your health care professionals immediately.
What can I do after I forget a dose?
If you forgot to take ketorolac eye drops and if it is near the time of your next dose then we suggest you please skip that dose and take it at the next dose at the regular time. Don’t take the dose at irregular times. It makes your dose double and it would be harmful to you.
Always remember that when you start to take ketorolac eye drops, always remember to write down all of the instructions that your healthcare professionals tell you when you ask a question: what can I do if I forget a dose?
What happens if I overdose?
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have experienced any of the following symptoms or side effects immediately. Some of the symptoms or side effects that can occur because of an overdose of ketorolac eye drops.
What can I know about the storage and disposal of this medication?
Store this medication at room temperature and keep them away from light or excessive heat and moisture. And put them away from the reach of the pets and children, we suggest you put that medicine in a tightly closed container in which they came.
You should have disposed of all the medication that is unneeded in a special way to ensure that children, pets, and other people can’t consume them. You can not flush them or pour them into the drain. You can return them to the pharmacist or the best way is that you can take back the program for returning your medicines.
What other information should I know?
Don’t miss any of your doctor and laboratory appointments because your doctor will check the response of this medicine then he/she will tell you the update or other pieces of information. So, keep all your appointments with your doctor, pharmacist, and the laboratory.
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you feel your health condition is getting worse or your dose may need to be adjusted.
It is very important to tell your pharmacist about all your prescriptions and non-prescription you were taking and make a list of them and carry the list all the time. It would help you in case of emergencies. When you meet or visit your doctor you should bring the list. It’s important to your doctor.
And ensure that no one is taking your medicine or no one has them. And every time when you meet your pharmacist or doctor asks them any of the questions you have about refilling your prescription.
Ophthalmic Ketorolac eye drops brand names
Hope you find this blog useful. Please tell us your experience with this blog in the comment section and keep visiting for further pieces of information.