- Why did doctors prescribe Neomycin Polymyxin and Bacitracin Ophthalmic?
- How to use neomycin polymyxin eye ointment?
- What special precautions could I take?
- What do I do if I forget a dose?
- What are neomycin polymyxin eye ointment side effects?
- What can I know about the storage and disposal of this medication?
- What other information should I know?
Why did doctors prescribe Neomycin Polymyxin and Bacitracin Ophthalmic?
The combination of Neomycin Polymyxin and Bacitracin Ophthalmic eye ointment is used for the treatment of eye and eyelid infections. We suggest you do not use this medication in any other part of your body because doctors prescribed this medication for the treatment of only bacterial eye infections and nothing else. It comes under the class of medication known as antibiotics. The types of eye infections such as infections caused by viruses, fungi, and mycobacteria can not be improved by this medication. At the surface of the eyes, this combination of Neomycin Polymyxin and Bacitracin Ophthalmic eye ointment works by stopping the growth of bacteria.
How to use neomycin polymyxin eye ointment?
The combination of Neomycin Polymyxin and Bacitracin Ophthalmic is available in the form of the ointment to apply inside the lower lid of an infected eye. Usually, your healthcare professionals will prescribe you this medication to apply 3 to 4 hours for 7 to 10 days in the eye. And always used this combination at around the same time each and every day to remember using this medication.
Ensure that all the directions have been followed exactly on your prescription label carefully. The medication can not be used more or less prescribed by your healthcare professionals. The dosage of this medication depends on your medical condition or your response to treatment.
How to apply the neomycin polymyxin eye ointment?
- Firstly, by using warm water wash your hands very gently.
- Now you can take help from other people to apply this ointment to your eye or you can use a mirror.
- Against your eye or anything else, try to avoid touching the tip. Always remember that the ointment container must be clean.
- Now slightly tilt your head forward.
- Between your thumb and index finger, hold the tube and without touching your eye, place the tube as near as possible to your eyelid.
- Against your cheek or nose, brace the remaining fingers of that hand.
- To form a pocket with your index finger pull down the lower lid of your eye, while tilting your head forward.
- After that into the pocket made by the lower eyelid, place the prescribed amount of ointment.
- Usually, doctors prescribed this ointment to use a 1.25-centimeter strip. But don’t use this ointment without your doctor’s prescription.
- Now you have to close your eyes for 1 to 2 minutes to allow the medication to be absorbed
- The excess amount of ointment should be wiped off from your eyelids and lashes with clean tissue.
- In the end, wash your hands again to remove the medication.
During the first few days of treatment, your eye or eyelid infection should begin getting better because of the neomycin polymyxin eye ointment. And contact your doctor if in case your symptoms do not go away or get worse. While you are using this combination of neomycin polymyxin and bacitracin eye ointment try to avoid getting this ointment into your nose or mouth because this can be used in the eye only. And don’t swallow it.
If you want to get the most benefits from the neomycin polymyxin eye ointment then use this medication regularly in order. And always use it at the same time each day. Until consulting your health care professional won’t try to stop using this medication.
Until your full prescribed amount is finished, do not stop using this medication even if you feel well or your symptoms disappear. And if you feel your condition doesn’t improve then you may contact your healthcare professionals. Your healthcare professionals will tell you when you have stopped using this medication. If you don’t understand any of the parts then ask your healthcare provider to explain all the things again.
What special precautions could I take?
You should have followed all these special precaution carefully while using the neomycin polymyxin eye ointment:
- If you are taking any vitamins, nutritional supplements, prescription or non-prescription medication or drugs, any other drug or medicine, herbal products, especially polymyxin, bacitracin such as Baciguent, aminoglycoside antibiotics such as amikacin, neomycin such as Myciguent, paromomycin, streptomycin, and tobramycin, gentamicin, kanamycin, zinc or planning to take them while using this neomycin polymyxin eye ointment then tell your doctor and pharmacist.
- If you become pregnant or plan to become pregnant while you are using this neomycin polymyxin eye ointment then tell your doctor and pharmacist immediately.
- If you have or have ever had hearing problems or kidney disease then tell your doctor and pharmacist.
- If you are allergic to polymyxin, bacitracin such as Baciguent, aminoglycoside antibiotics such as amikacin, neomycin such as Myciguent, paromomycin, streptomycin, and tobramycin, gentamicin, kanamycin, zinc, any other drugs, then tell your doctor and pharmacist and ask them for all ingredients of neomycin polymyxin eye ointment by which you are allergic.
- If you have any medical history especially of eye problems then tell your doctor and pharmacist.
- Don’t ever try to drive a car because this drug may make your vision become temporarily blurred and not operate any machinery until you know how this medication affects you.
What do I do if I forget a dose?
You can make your dose double if you take the dose at irregular times. If in case, the time is near your next dose and you forget to take your last dose of this medication then we suggest you please skip that dose and take it at the next dose at the regular time.
What are neomycin polymyxin eye ointment side effects?
Without your healthcare professionals don’t try to use neomycin polymyxin eye ointment because they will suggest this medication only by judging the most benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Because this combination of ointment is a medication that can be used only by people who have some serious side effects. And never try to use it for a longer time period than prescribed.
When you are using neomycin polymyxin eye ointment and if you have seen any of these side effects or symptoms mentioned below then contact your healthcare professionals immediately.
Some uncommon and serious neomycin polymyxin eye ointment side effects:
- You’ll feel rash.
- You’ll feel hives.
- You’ll feel difficulty breathing or swallowing.
- You’ll feel swelling of the face, throat, tongue, lips, eyes, hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs.
- You’ll feel hoarse.
- You’ll feel worsening eye discharge.
- You’ll feel red or scaly patches around the eye or eyelid.
- You’ll feel dizzy.
- You’ll feel chest tightness.
- You’ll feel faint.
- You’ll feel eye pain.
- You’ll feel irritation, burning, itching, swelling, or redness of the eye or eyelid.
In case, if you are facing any problems and do not go away or are getting worse then immediately contact your health care professionals because this is not the complete list of all symptoms and side effects of this medication.
If you are in the United States and you are facing these serious side effects or someone near you then you can contact the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or call at 1-888-463-6332 or at www.fda.gov/medwatch.
What can I know about the storage and disposal of this medication?
Store this medication at room temperature and keep them away from light or excessive heat and moisture. And put them away from the reach of the pets and children, we suggest you put that medicine in a tightly closed container in which they came because there are as many containers like eye drops, creams, patches, and inhalers that are not child-resistant and young children or pets can easily open them.
You should have disposed of all the medication that is unneeded in a special way to ensure that children, pets, and other people can’t consume them. You can not flush them or pour them into the drain. You can return them to the pharmacist or the best way is that you can take back the program for returning your medicines.
What other information should I know?
If you are taking any prescription and non-prescription medication or drugs, while you are using this medication, it is very important to tell your healthcare professionals about this. To make it easy and unforgettable, you can create a list of all prescription and non-prescription medications or drugs and any other drug or medicine you are taking. You can show that list to your healthcare professionals or pharmacists at the time of visit or meeting them. It would help you in case of emergencies. It would help you in case of emergencies.
At the time of meeting your healthcare professionals, don’t forget to carry the laboratory report. And the most important thing is to never miss your doctor and laboratory appointments because your healthcare professionals will check the response of this medicine then he/she will tell you the update or other pieces of information. So, keep all your appointments with your doctor, pharmacist, and the laboratory. And before having any laboratory test, if you are already taking this product then tell your doctor and the laboratory personnel. Talk to your healthcare professionals if you feel your health condition is getting worse or your dose may need to be adjusted.
Hope you find this article very useful. Please tell us your experience with this article in the comment section and keep visiting for further pieces of information.