Istradefylline is a medicine that is sold under the brand name Nourianz, is used as an add-on treatment to levodopa/carbidopa in adults. It was first launched in 2013 by Japan. The adjunctive therapy to levodopa and carbidopa medications find out by the istradefylline in adult patients with Parkinson’s disease (PD). NOURIANZ (istradefylline) is developed by the Kyowa Kirin and the NOURIANZ (istradefylline) is also known as a drug or we can say it is a class of drug.
In April 2007, With the United States of Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Kyowa Kirin filed istradefylline as a New Drug Application (NDA) but it was not qualified and get not approved by New Drug Application (NDA) but in August 2019, the drug (istradefylline) was approved by Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Now the NOURIANZ (istradefylline) tablets are available in the market in 20mg and 40mg quantities by peach-colored, pillow-shaped film-coated.
How to use the Istradefylline tablet
According to the doctor’s prescription, you can take this tablet with or without food. Usually, people take one tablet daily but the doctor will suggest to you on behalf of your medical conditions how much dosage you have of this medicine. Before taking these tablets to ensure that you tell your pharmacist and doctor about the other tablets you are taking like herbal products, prescription drugs, and non-prescription drugs.
If in case you increase your dosage without concern to your doctor or pharmacist it may not work faster or it will increase your risk of side effects. You should have to talk to your doctor if the medicine is not working and your health is getting worse.
Other uses for this medicine
Ask your doctor and pharmacist for more information that what are the other uses of Silver Silver Sulfadiazine Cream medication.
Side effects of the Istradefylline tablet
Usually, the doctor recommended a 20mg dosage of Nourianz once daily, it can be increased to 40mg but in this dose, the Nourianz (istradefylline) can interconnect with itraconazole, ketoconazole, clarithromycin, carbamazepine, rifampin, phenytoin, St. John’s wort, midazolam, atorvastatin, and digoxin.
These tablets are not recommended for pregnant ladies because they will harmful to the fetus. If a woman having a newborn child and treated with Nourianz they are advised to are use contraception because Nourianz can pass through the breast milk or somehow it would affect your newborn child or infant. Get the doctor’s prescription before taking these pills or breastfeeding.
Peoples that are using this medication have some serious side effects because this medication only using in serious side effects. Don’t use this medication without your doctor’s prescription, Doctors will suggest you this medication by judging the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. If you have any irritation, burning, or stinging, then firstly stop using it and talk to your doctor.
While you were taking these tablets may have your sexual urges, unusual urges to gamble, or other intense urges are increased. So in this state, you have to talk to your doctor.
Some more common side effects of Nourianz (istradefylline):
- Involuntary muscle movements;
- Nausea, constipation; or
- Sleep problems (insomnia).
Some more serious side effects of Nourianz (istradefylline):
- You will feel the peoples want to harm you
- You will believe or feel that things are not real
- Aggressive behavior, agitation, or confusion
- You couldn’t be in a state to control your body movements or worsening
- You would be hearing voices that do not exist in this world or seeing the unreal things (hallucinations)
If you see some serious side effects then contact your doctor or your pharmacists right away. And this is not the final list of side effects if you some other side effects then don’t ignore them contact your doctor or pharmacist these side effects could be very harmful.
Overdose of Nourianz (Istradefylline)
In case you forgot to take the medicine and if it is near the time of your next dose then we suggest you please skip that dose and take it at the next dose at the regular time. Don’t take the dose at irregular times it made your dose double and it would be harmful to you. This is the condition under the missed dose.
If you have a mole on your body and getting bigger then talk to your doctor it may increase the risk of developing skin cancer (melanoma) or if you’re feeling any other unusual skin changes.
In case someone has some serious symptoms like passing out or trouble to breathe then call on 911 or you can contact Poison Control Center (PCC) and United State residents has their local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222.
What special precautions could I take?
You have to continue your normal diet until your doctor will suggest anything else or you should have followed these precaution before taking the istradefylline:
- If you are taking any other herbal products, prescription drugs, and non-prescription drugs, prescription and nonprescription medications, vitamins, and nutritional supplements or you have a plan to take then tell all this thing to your doctor or pharmacist.
- If you do smoking or take any tobacco products (cigarettes, cigars, pipe tobacco, or hookah [waterpipe] tobacco) they could decrease the effectiveness of this medication. In this case, tell all these things to your doctor or pharmacists.
- If you’re taking Herbal products especially St. John’s wort then tell about this to your doctor or pharmacist because you shouldn’t be allowed to take St. John’s wort during treatment with istradefylline.
- If you have any allergic issues, any other medications, allergic to istradefylline any of the ingredients in istradefylline tablets then tell about this to your doctor or pharmacist.
- If you have any psychotic disorder by which you are in difficulty telling the difference between things, ideas that are not real, liver disease, and body movements that you cannot control then tell about this to your doctor or pharmacist.
- If you have any other gambling problems, sexual urges (behavior that is very compulsive or unusual), other intense urges, uncontrolled spending, or binge or compulsive eating then tell these things to your doctor and family about this risk. These things could become a bigger problem if you do not tell about your gambling or any other intense urges or unusual behaviors.
- If you are a pregnant woman, you are planning to become pregnant or breastfeeding then tell about this your doctor or pharmacist. While you are in the treatment process with istradefylline you shouldn’t be allowed to take istradefylline pills because it will harmful for your fetus or your infant. During the treatment with istradefylline, you should use effective birth control to prevent pregnancy.
What about the storage and disposal of this medication?
Store these tablets at room temperature and kept them away from the light or excessive heat and moisture same as the Cisapride medicine. And put them away from the reach of the pets and children, we suggest you put them in a tightly closed container in which they came.
You should have disposed of all the medication those are unneeded in a special way to ensure that children, pets, and other people can’t consume them. You can not flush them or pour them into the drain. You can return them to the pharmacist or the best way is that you can take back the program for returning your medicines.
What other information should I know?
It is very important to tell your pharmacist about all your prescriptions and nonprescription you were taking as well as the products like vitamins, minerals, or other dietary supplements and make a list of them and carry the list all time it would help you in case of emergencies. When you meet or visit your doctor you should bring the list its important to it you doctor.
And ensure that no one is taking your medicine or no one had them.
Hope you find this article useful. Keep visiting.