- Why is Erythromycin ophthalmic ointment prescribed?
- How should Erythromycin Ophthalmic medicine be used?
- Other uses of erythromycin ophthalmic ointment
- What special dietary plans should I take?
- What special precautions should I follow?
- What are the side effects of erythromycin ophthalmic?
- What can I do after I forget a dose?
- What happens if I overdose?
- What can I know about the storage and disposal of this medication?
- What other information should I know?
Why is Erythromycin ophthalmic ointment prescribed?
Erythromycin ophthalmic ointment is used for the treatment of certain eye infections such as conjunctivitis and used for newborn babies to prevent bacterial infections of the eye. Erythromycin ophthalmic ointment is under the class of medications or drugs called macrolide antibiotics. It stops the growth of bacteria by killing them because that causes infections and it doesn’t work or other types of eye infections. This product is only used for the treatment of bacterial eye infections. If you use this medication unnecessarily then it can lead to its decreased effectiveness.
How should Erythromycin Ophthalmic medicine be used?
Erythromycin Ophthalmic ointment is available in the form of an ointment to apply to the eyes. In the infected eye, it is usually applied up to six times a day. After delivery, it was also used one time for the newborn babies in the hospital to prevent eye infections. The dosage totally depends upon your medical condition and response to treatment. Don’t try to use this medication more or less often than prescribed by your health care professionals.
During your treatment with this medication, your symptoms should be expected to improve, if your symptoms do not improve after using this medication and getting worse or during your treatment with erythromycin ophthalmic ointment then talk to your doctor or pharmacist. Read all the instructions very carefully that are provided by your health care professionals.
How to apply the erythromycin ophthalmic ointment?
- Before using erythromycin ophthalmic ointment, wash your hand thoroughly with soap and water very gently.
- Ensure that the end of the ointment container is not chipped or cracked.
- Against your eye, try to avoid touching the container tip or anything else. Always remember that ointment must be clean.
- To form a pocket with your index finger pull down the lower lid of your eye, while tilting your head back.
- With the help of the other hand hold the dropper, as close to the eye as possible without touching it.
- The next step is to brace the remaining fingers against your face.
- When you’re looking up, put the amount of medication into the pocket made by the lower eyelid.
- And then from the lower eyelid remove your index finger.
- After that, as you look at the floor, close your eyes for 2 to 3 minutes to allow the medication to be absorbed.
- And try to not squeeze or blink your eyelids.
- With a tissue, from your face, wipe any excess liquid.
- Wait at least 5 minutes if you want to use other medication such as drops or ointments in the same eye.
- Without wiping or rinsing the ointment from the tip of the container, replace and tighten the cap on the dropper bottle.
- In the last wash your hands again to remove the medication.
If you want to get the most benefits from the erythromycin ophthalmic ointment then use this medication regularly in order. And always use it at the same time each day. Until consulting your health care professional won’t try to stop using this medication. You can also use Timolol eye drop for you eye problem but ask your doctor first.
If you are using this medication and you are feeling well then continue to use erythromycin ophthalmic ointment don’t try to stop using it without consulting your health care professional.
Other uses of erythromycin ophthalmic ointment
Ask your health care professional for more information because this ointment is prescribed for other uses. There are some other medications also available for the treatment of bacterial infections such as Tobramycin Ophthalmic Solution, and so on.
What special dietary plans should I take?
Follow your dietary recommendations and exercise plan made by your health care professional. if your healthcare professionals didn’t give you any instructions, you can continue your normal diet.
What special precautions should I follow?
You should have followed this special precaution before using erythromycin ophthalmic ointment:
- If you are allergic to this medication, any of the ingredients in erythromycin ophthalmic ointment, any other medications then tell your doctor and pharmacist and ask them for all ingredients.
- If you are taking some prescription and nonprescription medications, vitamins, nutritional supplements, and herbal products, or planning to take them while using erythromycin ophthalmic ointment then tell your doctor and pharmacist.
- If you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or plan to become pregnant while using this product then tell your healthcare professional.
- Don’t ever try to drive a car because this drug may make your vision blurred or not operate any machinery until you see clearly.
- Before installing erythromycin ophthalmic ointment remove your contact lenses, because this solution can be absorbed by soft contact lenses and it would be harmful to you. After instilling this ointment, wait for 10 to 15 minutes and then you can put your contact lenses in your eyes.
- If you have any medical history or are allergic to erythromycin ophthalmic ointment or any other medications then tell your doctor and pharmacist.
If you have experienced or faced any of the problems mentioned above then contact your health care professionals immediately. Follow all the mentioned precautions carefully, these are all precautions that you can take while using this product.
What are the side effects of erythromycin ophthalmic?
Don’t use this medication without your doctor’s prescription, Doctors will suggest erythromycin ophthalmic ointment by judging the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. You should have to know the side effects and symptoms of this medication before taking this.
If you are using erythromycin ophthalmic there may be some common side effects such as eye-stinging, burning, redness, or temporary blurred vision in your eyes. If you have experienced any of these side effects or symptoms and do not go away or are getting worse, then stop taking or using this product or ointment and call your doctor immediately.
If you are using this product for a long time or repeated periods then other types of eye infections, including fungal infections can occur in your infected eye. If you have noticed any new symptoms or worsening eye symptoms such as pain, swelling, thick discharge, or pus then contact your healthcare professionals.
It can also cause other side effects and if you have any unusual problems such as rash, itching, swelling especially on your face, tongue, or throat, you’ll feel severe dizziness and have trouble breathing apart from these while using erythromycin ophthalmic ointment then immediately contact your health care professionals because this is not the complete list of all symptoms and side effects of this medication.
What can I do after I forget a dose?
If you forgot to take this medication and if it is near the time of your next dose then we suggest you please skip that dose and take it at the next dose at the regular time. Don’t take the dose at irregular times. It makes your dose double and it would be harmful to you.
What happens if I overdose?
Some of the symptoms or side effects can occur because of an overdose of this medication. Talk to your healthcare professionals if you have experienced any of the following symptoms or side effects immediately.
What can I know about the storage and disposal of this medication?
You should have disposed of all the medication that is unneeded in a special way to ensure that children, pets, and other people can’t consume them. You can not flush them or pour them into the drain. You can return them to the pharmacist or the best way is that you can take back the program for returning your medicines.
Store this medication at room temperature and keep them away from light or excessive heat and moisture. And put them away from the reach of the pets and children, we suggest you put that medicine in a tightly closed container in which they came.
What other information should I know?
Don’t miss any of your doctor and laboratory appointments because your doctor will check the response of this medicine then he/she will tell you the update or other pieces of information. So, keep all your appointments with your doctor, pharmacist, and the laboratory. Talk to your healthcare professionals if you feel your health condition is getting worse or your dose may need to be adjusted.
And ensure that no one is taking your medicine or no one has them. It is very important to tell your pharmacist about all your prescriptions and non-prescription you were taking and make a list of them and carry the list all the time. It would help you in case of emergencies. When you meet or visit your doctor you should bring the list. It’s important to your doctor.
Hope you find this blog useful. Please tell us your experience with this blog in the comment section and keep visiting for further pieces of information.