- Why is this medication prescribed?
- How should this medicine be used?
- What special dietary instructions should I follow?
- Harmful side effects of Chloral Hydrate
- What are the special precautions of Chloral Hydrate?
- What can I do if I forget a dose?
- What about the storage and disposal of this medication?
- What other information should I know?
Chloral Hydrate used as a sedative and hypnotic pharmaceutical drug. Chloral Hydrate is derived from chloral (trichloroacetaldehyde) and it is a geminal diol with the formula C2H3Cl3O2. In 1832, Justus von Liebig was discovered the Chloral Hydrate in Giessen. In 1861, Chloral Hydrate has a sedative property was observed by Rudolf Buchheim and published by Oscar Liebreich in 1869. In the United States, Chloral hydrate has not been approved by the FDA. In the United Kingdom, its products get licenses for short-term management of severe insomnia. Chloral Hydrate mainly sold by three brands name Aquachloral, Chloralum, Somnote.
Why is this medication prescribed?
Chloral Hydrate is used before the surgery to relieve anxiety and induce sleep and it is also used in the treatment of insomnia and after the surgery to treat alcohol withdrawal and pain. This medication will help you fall asleep fastly and to stay asleep for a long time.
There are some other uses of this medication you can ask your doctor and pharmacist for more information.
How should this medicine be used?
Chloral Hydrate is available in two forms: Liquid and capsule. Before taking this medication you should have to talk to your doctor and pharmacists and follow the directions on your prescription label carefully. If you have any questions or you didn’t understand any of thing then ask your doctor or the pharmacists.
If you are using the liquid form then the process is: first take a half glass of water then add a medicine into water and then add fruit juice, or ginger ale and you have to drink it immediately.
If you are using the capsule then the process is: Swallow the capsule with the glass of water or fruit juice, or ginger ale, and remember don’t chew the capsule.
It is a habit-forming medicine if you are using it very long time then you could be habitual for Chloral Hydrate. So, remember always don’t take it more often, for a longer period, or don’t use an overdose of this medicine but if you are doing all this then to your doctor. If you are using large doses of this medicine or if you feel well then remember don’t be stop taking this medicine your doctor will tell you how to stop, mostly the doctor decreases the quantity of this product.
How to use the suppository?
- Remove the wrapper of the suppository gently.
- Then dip the suppository tip into the water.
- A right-handed person lie down on your left side and raise your right knee to your chest and a left-handed person lie down on your right side and raise your left knee to your chest.
- With the help of the fingers, enter the suppository into the rectum gently, about 1.25 to 2.5 cm in infants or in children and 2.5 cm in adults, after that hold it into the rectum for around 1 to 2 minutes.
- The last step is to lie down for 15 minutes and then stand up, wash your hand and start your normal activities.
Note that Chloral hydrate is not available in the United States.
Other uses for this medicine
Ask your doctor and pharmacist for more information that what are the other uses of chloral hydrate medication.
What special dietary instructions should I follow?
Always use chloral hydrate with food or milk because chloral hydrate may cause an upset stomach.
Harmful side effects of Chloral Hydrate
Peoples that are using this medication have some serious side effects because this medication only using in serious side effects. Don’t use this medication without your doctor’s prescription, Doctors will suggest you this medication by judging the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. If you have any irritation, burning, or stinging, then firstly stop using it and talk to your doctor.
Some harmful side effects of Chloral Hydrate:
- This drug can cause drowsiness.
- You will feel stomach upset.
- You will feel Vomiting.
- You will feel diarrhea.
Some serious harmful side effects of Chloral Hydrate:
- Your Skin could get rashes.
- You will feel itching all over the skin.
- You will be confused about all the things.
- When you will feel difficulty in breathing.
- Your heartbeat will be slow down.
- All the time you will feel an extreme level of tiredness.
If you see some other side effects then contact your doctor or your pharmacists right away. And this is not the final list of side effects if you some other side effects then don’t ignore them contact your doctor or pharmacist these side effects could be very harmful.
What are the special precautions of Chloral Hydrate?
Some special precaution of Chloral Hydrate you should have followed before using this medication:
- If you have a medical history then tell your doctor and pharmacist.
- If you are taking some prescription and nonprescription medications including anticoagulants (‘blood thinners’) such as warfarin (Coumadin), antihistamines, furosemide (Lasix), medications for depression or seizures, sedatives, sleeping pills, tranquilizers, and vitamins then tell your doctor and pharmacist.
- If you have ever had kidney or liver disease, heart or stomach problems, a history of alcohol or drug abuse, or asthma then tell your doctor and pharmacist.
- If you are allergic to chloral hydrate, aspirin, tartrazine, or any other drugs then tell your doctor and pharmacist.
- If you are planning for surgery or dental surgery and using the Chloral Hydrate medication then tell your doctor and dentist.
- Don’t drive while you are taking this medicine or drug until you don’t know how this will affect you because you should know that this drug may make you drowsy.
What can I do if I forget a dose?
In case you forgot to take the medicine and if it is near the time of your next dose then we suggest you please skip that dose and take it at the next dose at the regular time. Don’t take the dose at irregular times it made your dose double and it would be harmful to you.
What about the storage and disposal of this medication?
You should have disposed of all the medication those are unneeded in a special way to ensure that children, pets, and other people can’t consume them. You can not flush them or pour them into the drain. You can return them to the pharmacist or the best way is that you can take back the program for returning your medicines.
Store this medication at room temperature and kept them away from the light or excessive heat and moisture. And put them away from the reach of the pets and children, we suggest you put them in a tightly closed container in which they came. Ensure that the liquid form of this product doesn’t freeze and try to protect it from the light also.
What other information should I know?
It is very important to tell your pharmacist about all your prescriptions and nonprescription you were taking and make a list of them and carry the list all time it would help you in case of emergencies. When you meet or visit your doctor you should bring the list its important to it you doctor.
For testing the urine for sugar use TesTape or Clinistix if you have diabetes. Chloral hydrate can cause false results. So, Do not try to use Clinitest
And ensure that no one is taking your medicine or no one had them. And every time when you meet too your pharmacist or doctor ask them any of the questions you have about refilling your prescription.
Hope you find this article useful. Keep visiting.