In the medical field, a popular antibiotic medicine is available, known as Azithromycin. It is used for treating various types of bacterial infections which are present in the body. It is a macrolide-type antibiotic. Its main purpose is to stop the growth of bacteria in the body. Here in this blog, we will let you know about azithromycin uses and its importance.
Well, taking too many medications is also not good for any patient. Remember to take this medicine by using a prescription provided by your doctor. This drug will not work with viral infections (such as the common cold, or flu). Excessive use or misuse of any antibiotic can lead to a decrease in its effectiveness.
You can also read:
Antibiotics: Uses, Side-Effects & Warnings [ Link To Read ]
What is Azithromycin?
As above we have mentioned it is basically used to treat a wide range of bacterial infections. Azithromycin is an antibiotic that fights bacteria. It is used to treat numerous different types of infections caused by bacteria, such as respiratory infections, skin infections, ear infections, eye infections, and sexually transmitted diseases.
The oral tablet of azithromycin is available both as a generic and under the brand name. It is also known as, the brand name: Zithromax.
Note: It can also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Given below you will know about oral uses of azithromycin:
- Take this medicine orally according to the doctor’s instructions, usually once a day, with or without food. If stomach discomfort occurs, you can take this medicine with food. The dose is based on your medical condition and response to the treatment of the patient.
- For best results, take this antibiotic at evenly spaced duration. Take this medicine at the same time each day to make it easier for you to remember.
- Continue to take this medicine until the full prescribed amount is completed, even if the symptoms disappear after a few days. Stopping the medication before the due time may allow bacteria to continue to grow, which may lead to the recurrence of infection.
- Antacids containing aluminum or magnesium may lower the absorption of azithromycin if taken at the same time. If you are taking an antacid containing aluminum or magnesium, wait at least 2 hours before or after taking azithromycin
- You can take Zithromax oral liquid or tablets with or without food.
- Shake the Zithromax oral Liquid bottle well before each use. Measure the dose correctly using the marked measuring cup, oral syringe, or cup. The average household teaspoon may not have the proper amount of liquid.
- You should tell your doctor if your condition gets persists or worsens.
Dosage Of Azithromycin
Following are the dosage and strengths:
How and When to take:
- The tablets come in either azithromycin 500mg or 250mg strengths. the 250mg comes in the form of capsules, whereas the liquid form of this medicine comes as 200mg in 5ml.
- The usual dose of 500 mg a day for 3-10 days, depending on the infection being treated.
- But in some cases of infection, you will be given a one-time higher dose of 1g or 2g.
- The dose may be lower for the children or if the patient has liver or kidney problems.
Some examples of common dosages:
|community-acquired pneumonia tonsillitis skin infections||the initial dose is 500 milligrams (mg), then 250 mg once a day until day 5.|
|mild-to-moderate bacterial COPD exacerbations||500 mg per day for 3 days or the initial dose is 500 milligrams (mg), then 250 mg once a day until day 5.|
|sinus infections||500 mg per day for 3 days|
|chancroid genital ulcers||a single dose of 1 gram (g)|
|Urethritis and cervicitis||a single dose of 1 g|
|gonococcal urethritis cervicitis||a single dose of 2 g|
If You Have Taken Overdose:
If someone has taken an overdose and has serious symptoms such as fainting or difficulty breathing, call 911. Otherwise, you can call a poison control center immediately. U.S. residents can call their local poison control center dial at 1-800-222-1222.
Side Effects of Azithromycin
Remember that this medicine has been prescribed because your doctor came to the conclusion that the benefits for you are greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this drug do not have major side effects.
Like all medications, azithromycin can have certain side effects. They are usually insignificant. In clinical trials, only 0.7% of people stopped taking Zithromax due to its side effects.
Most of the side effects that led people to stop taking the drug such as :
- Pain in the abdomen
Less common side effects such as :
- Acid reflux
- A rash
- Dry skin
- Heart palpitations or chest pain
- Sun sensitivity
Some Rare Serious Side Effects are:
- Liver damage, especially in people with a history of liver health issues
- Changes in heart rhythm occur, which are more likely in people who take heart rhythm medications, older people, and people with low blood potassium
- Very serious allergic reactions
People who have myasthenia gravis. The condition that causes muscle weakness may have worsening symptoms or breathing problems.
Doctors should not prescribe this drug for the treatment of pneumonia if a person:
- with a hospital-acquired infection
- cystic fibrosis
- requires a stay in the hospital
- is older or debilitated
- has a significant underlying health issue, such as immune system problems
Taking Azithromycin During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding, and Fertility
It is usually considered to be taken during pregnancy if you have an infection that requires treatment. However, other antibiotics may be more suitable for you, depending on the type of infection you have.
Talk to your doctor about taking azithromycin in pregnancy.
If your doctor or health visitor says your baby is healthy, it is okay to take azithromycin while breastfeeding.
It is excreted in breast milk in little amounts. It is not known to cause side effects in breastfed babies.
Well, there is no clear evidence that taking This medication reduces fertility in men or women.
In this blog, we have almost provided everything about azithromycin uses, their side effects, including their precautions. While azithromycin is a safe and effective antimicrobial drug, doctors must be careful to prescribe it appropriately. The right choice of antimicrobial therapy not only improves treatment and supports public health, but also avoids exposing patients to an unnecessary risk of side effects.
We hope you find this blog useful. Please let us know your experience with this blog in the comments section and keep visiting us for more information.