Acne is the most common disorder we often see in people. It is mostly seen in the people who fall under the category of teenagers or young adults. We are going to share the most important information regarding it, Acne causes, symptoms and treatments that would help you resolve this common disorder. Have you ever wondered, what is the cause of it? If not let’s figure it out here in this blog along with its solution. People have a lot of misconception regarding the cause of it but now is the time to break every myth which has been created over the last few decades.
There are a lot of ways to cope with this issue that occurs on the most loveable part of our body- the face although it could occur on other parts of the body also. We know very well that “Prevention is better than cure” so before you face this disorder let’s get to know more about it and avoid this disorder.
What is Acne?
It is the most common skin disorder. Research shows that approximately 85% of the population between the ages of 13 to 30 would face a mild or extreme problem of this disorder. There are tiny holes in everyone’s skin called pores which get blocked by bacteria, dead skin cells, sebum (oily substance) hair, and dirt. It is responsible for pimples, whiteheads, or blackheads. It is not responsible for serious health issues but if stays for a long time it could cause scars on the face. Skin cells connect the follicles when sebum reaches the hair follicle of the skin. At this condition, bacteria start growing inside the follicles. This is the condition when pimples develop.
Here are the types of acne below:
Blackheads (open comedones):
It is opened at the surface of the facial skin, they look dark because the oxygen present in the atmosphere discolors the sebum.
It is caused by infected hair follicles which results in red/pink, small bumps over the skin.
Whiteheads (closed comedones):
It is not opened as the blackheads but sealed from above and filled with a whitish/fleshy substance.
It is also called pityrosporum folliculitis, caused by the excess growth of yeast in the follicles.
It goes down in the skin. Large in size, and an extremely painful pimple.
Found beneath the skin and are pus-filled. Usually, these are painful.
At the age of puberty when the hormonal level rises exponentially then it causes it and sometimes is inherited from our parents.
Here are a few more causes of it:
|Change in hormone level||During pregnancy and women’s menstrual cycle this occurs.|
|Hormone level increases||Male sex hormones (androgen) increase and cause it. Both boys and girls face this phase during puberty.|
|Medications||Intaking medicine regularly for any diseases which contain hormones, lithium can cause it.|
|Genetics||If your parents faced this disorder ever then there is a chance that you would have also this.|
Air pollution may cause this and it also occurs due to humidity.
|Birth control pill||Start taking or stopping the birth control pill.|
|Oily and Greasy products||Using products like heavy lotions, creams, and hair removal remedies may cause it.|
|Poor sleep||Not taking proper sleep may cause it.|
Prevention is a little bit hard but we can not say that it is impossible. We can change a few habits to prevent it at ground level:
- Avoid touching your face by hand. This is a common habit of ours but we need to stop it.
- With warm water wash your face twice/thrice a day or after sweating. You can use a mild facial cleanser also.
- Moisturizer can be used every day.
- In cosmetics products avoid using comedogenic makeup products. Remove makeup every day before going to bed at night.
- Avoid extreme scrubbing your face, instead use your fingertips to wash the face.
- During the examination of the skin, our doctor diagnoses. He/she would ask if we are suffering from stress, have any family history of it, are involved in any other medication process, or do not take proper sleep.
- Females may also be asked about their menstrual cycle.
- If the level of disorder is mild then it would vanish but if the condition is extreme then you must visit a specialist (dermatologist).
Acne is often categorized by dermatologists as follows:
- Mild – At this stage, we generally see blackheads and whiteheads along with a few pustules.
- Moderate – At this stage, we observe widespread blackheads and whiteheads along with a lot of pustules and papules.
- Severe – Here we find scarring along with lots of painful cysts, nodules, papules, and pustules.
According to the stage of it, the process of diagnosis begins from the doctor’s end and after the diagnosis process, the treatment of it starts. It takes time to diagnose and treat this common disorder but it is not a big problem if you figure it out on time.
Also, read our blog on:
“White Spots on The Skin: Reasons & Solutions” [click here to read]
Today we discussed multiple things regarding the most common skin disorder- acne. Tiny holes of skin blocked by dirt, bacteria, sebum, etc. which are responsible for blackheads, whiteheads, pimples, and many more disorder types. Due to many factors, occurs as hormonal change, pollution, genetics, etc. It could be prevented in multiple ways before going to a health expert by avoiding face touch, using warm water to wash the face, and using cosmetics that do not contain comedogenic.
We should consider it as a serious issue because it disturbs the texture of our face which could be as long as our life. There are ways to prevent it consciously if we do really care about our face and other body parts. Sometimes it occurs even after prevention due to genetics and hormonal change but then we need to consult a skin specialist for the diagnosis and treatment of this disorder.